Tuesday, August 12, 2014

So I've got some time

After work, school, volunteering, cooking dinner, cleaning and all the other busy work during my day, I like to vedge out and watch t.v or movies (when I'm not doing homework of course). Instead of watching Starship Troopers for the 1000x, I'm trying to watch some documentaries about what life as a doctor is really like. As much as I like Scrubs, I feel like it might not be the most accurate depiction of medical life (although I've read that people have said it's actually the most accurate of all the medical shows out there). Here's a list of all the shows dealing with medicine I've watched this summer. Some are fiction, some are documentaries, but all are helping me to get a well rounded idea of what it's like to be a doctor. As we get into the fall I probably won't have time to watch anything but we all need a little time to hang out.


Doctors' Diaries (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/doctors-diaries.html)
A documentary that follows a group of doctors from medical school throughout the rest of their careers.
This one is...depressing. As someone who wants a family one day, this account made the prospects of having good relationships with anyone seem impossible. I know this isn't always the case and medicine is changing to allow doctors to have time for families, but it did make me stop to think just how much work it will be to juggle having a life, family, and career and to think about what my goals and priorities really are.

Grey's Anatomy (on Netflix!)
Yea. I know. I'm not really into romance driven shows or movies, but some of the medical procedures performed on this show (however unrealistic) make it fun. It's pure drama but I do get sucked into it on and off.

Boston Med (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiJ9pLWpjuY)
Boston is a city with incredible hospitals and this show is a nice insight into what goes on inside of them. It's an exciting show and gives you an idea of who the people are who work in this crazy environments.

Children's Hospital (Netflix!)
Just funny. In no way life a real hospital, just making fun of all the lame medical dramas out there. Enjoy it!





No comments:

Post a Comment